Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Part One: The best part of the week...Olivia's Birth

It's hard to believe that Olivia's birth was only a little over a week ago. After this past week, it seems like weeks ago. The last post I posted before the birth was my story on how we went to the doctor and found out that I was carrying a huge baby. That is when the doctor decided I needed a c-section. Click here for a recap if you missed that post.

(me the day before I went in labor)

Tuesday afternoon we left the doctor's office with a new plan of action and trying to prepare ourselves for a c-section that following Thursday. That night we went to bed and I woke up a little after midnight having contractions. All night long I was up with contractions. The contractions were coming every 20-30 minutes, but they were lasting anywhere from 2-4 minutes. Needless to say, it was a long night. The worst part was that I was having back labor and that ladies is no fun. I spent the majority of the morning laying on the couch with hot and cold packs on my back. Around lunch time I was feeling a little better and convinced David and my mom to take me out to lunch. We went to lunch and the contractions got so bad, I couldn't even sit through lunch. After a little while, my mom and David finally convinced me to call the doctor's office. Well, I called and the lady who answers the phone kept telling me that my contractions weren't close enough. So, I hung up and went a little while longer before I called again. On my second call, the lady told us that I could go to the hospital to be checked, but it was probably best if I wait it out till my water breaks or my contractions get closer. So, I waited it out a little bit longer.

(this is what labor looks like)

Finally I had gotten to the point I knew I wasn't going to make it through the night. I made my third and final call. The same lady answered the phone and I told her I was done talking to her and done trying to make her realize the fact that my doctor didn't want me to go into labor. I told her I refused to talk to her any longer and to have my doctor call me back. Less than five minutes later, my doctor called me back and before I could say anything, she told me to get to the hospital, she was going to do the c-section that night. Lesson to be learned is don't listen to the people who answer the phones at the doctors office, if you are having problems, ask to speak to your doctor. Come to find out, even after I called twice, the lady never once went to my doctor and told her what was going on. As soon as my doctor saw I had called three times, she knew what needed to be done.

We arrived at the hospital around 6:30pm and I went to admissions to check-in. We had no clue to when I would be going back or what was to happen. After admissions, we waited in the lobby for about twenty minutes when a nurse came out and called my name. She looked at me and said let's go. I of course started freaking out a bit because I wasn't expecting it to happen so fast. At that point the only people who were at the hospital were my parents and David. David and I went back and they took me straight to the OR recovery room to get me ready. My nurse was taking her time getting me ready because she was under the impression that it would be at least an hour before they were ready. Less than ten minutes later the anesthesiologist and my doctor poked their heads in and said we're ready. Less than 15 minutes after that Olivia Kate came into the world at 7:44pm. Of course she came out kicking a screaming. Evidently she was pretty happy in there and had no plans on coming out anytime soon.

(not ten pounds, but close)

The c-section went by pretty fast. As for the c-section part, if you end up having to have one, it isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. I was though extremely nervous and I kept my eyes closed the whole time except when they brought her over to me to see. David and the anesthesiologist kept asking if I was okay since I was being so quiet. It was best that it went so fast because I didn't have any time to really think about it. If I would have had to wait till Thursday morning, I would have thought about it all too much.

(already in love)

After the c-section, they took Olivia and David up to the nursery to be cleaned up and checked out. I went to recovery. I ended up spending an hour and a half in recovery because the anesthesia made me sick. If I would have known before hand that it made me sick, then they could have given me something but unfortunately I didn't. I will know for sure for the next time. David came down to sit with me in recovery while the rest of our family stayed up at the nursery oohing and aahhing over our new baby girl. At the advice of a good friend, we requested that when they took me up to my room, to not allow anyone in our room for thirty minutes so that we could spend some alone time just the three of us. The first time I got to hold her was a moment that I will never forget but, I'm sure no mother does.

(a very tired mommy)

Even though it was past visiting hours, they let our family stay to visit with Olivia. Finally around 11pm everyone started to head home. The next part of the story I only tell you because it plays an important part in the worst part of the week. David's parents were the last to head out after Olivia's birth. David's mom bent down to give me a hug goodbye and I said to her "I'm going to be sick." At that point I got nasty sick all over her, my bed, and myself. Luckily, David had Olivia so I didn't get her. Also, David's mom is a nurse and is used to people throwing up all over her. When I got sick, I heard and felt a POP down there. I told Vicki then that I heard something pop down there. Unfortunately, I had a bad nurse that night and she didn't seem to care. She didn't even volunteer to clean me up. Thankfully, my mother-in-law is a nurse and took care of me. Yes, we reported the nurse.

The next morning the day nurse took off my bandages and everything seemed to be in place. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. We spent the next 24 hours in the hospital and Friday morning they gave me the option of staying the night or going home. We opted to go home since you don't get much rest when in the hospital.

Our first weekend home went well. David's mom took off the week to help me with Olivia and it worked out well since I ended up having a c-section. Just when we started getting used to having a baby at home, my troubles began.

Part Two: The worst part of the week....coming next!!!


boo.mama said...

Olivia Kate is so adorable! I am so sorry you had such a horrific time with your doctor's office. That lady who answers the phone should be fired!

mrs.leah.maria said...

I love all of the pictures, but I'm really anxious about Part 2 given how horrible just getting in went!

The Popes said...

Way to keep them hanging!

Can't wait for your "Wordless Wednesday!"

Here's that link your mom was talking about!


Laura said...

She is precious! Seems like an interesting week! Aubry informed me of what I think is going to be part 2...As soon as I received the e-mail I started praying:) I'm glad everything is okay:)

Kameron said...

OMGoodness. I feel so bad that you had such an ordeal. I'm glad you are home and feeling better now.