Monday, July 13, 2009

The Nursery Nightmare

I posted earlier that if you wanted part 1 of the painting of Olivia Kate's nursery, head over to Nicole's. Thankfully, she took pictures throughout the day and posted about it. The paint party went wonderfully and we got way more accomplished than I ever thought we would with five kids under the age of five. I am so grateful to my friends for all their help. I owe them a lot more than lunch, a 3 & 1/2 hour nap, and five poopie diapers (they know what I'm talking about).

I could write a loooonnnngggg post of what all happened in the 48 hours after the paint party but I will spare you all the details. Let's just say it contained a husband walking in and saying "oh shit," three emotional breakdowns, three coats of primer, and a total of 48 hours of painting.

Obviously, when the paint went on the walls the first time, I wasn't happy with the result. The idea was green the bottom half of the wall, pink the top half, and a stripe of brown in the middle. The result ended up looking like a big bowl of spumoni ice cream. The green turned out way to bright and as my mother put it "glowed beneath the doors." It wasn't going to work so we decided to repaint. The end result turned out much better than the original idea. I honestly wasn't feeling it at first, but I am in love with it now. I can't wait to have the whole thing done and the final pictures up.

Here are a few pics from the beginning to end of the painting...

Thursday @ 3:30pm

A big bowl of spumoni ice cream!
Thursday @ 9:30pm

The end result
Friday @ 11:30pm

A close up of the stripe

Before I get comments saying the green wasn't that bad...the pictures DO NOT do it justice!!! It was bright!!! Plus, the friends who helped paint agreed that the pink looked better than the green. So there is part II of the nursery sneak peek. I am still working on the furniture and still need to finish my wall art. I will post a few more pics as we go along, but I want to wait to post pics of the whole room until I'm done.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I am truly lovin' it...I can't wait to see it in person! Where'd you get the paper lanterns (isn't that what you call them??)

Nicole said...

I totally agree that the end is better then the start!
I didn't hate the green at all but the pink just looks more "Olivia Kate"!

Kameron said...

I can imagine how bright it was in person. I think the pink is much more soothing. I am having a hard time deciding how I want to do the nursery since I had a boy the first time I really want to go girly, but I feel like it's my one chance to get it right! I love how you did the wodden letters. What did you use to coat the top of them??